This is not a bad review, this is an *honest* review.
We were on our honeymoon and this was the most disorganized and uncomfortable tour we went on. Truly, we are easy going people. Just stating true facts here so people know what this tour is about.
- It started off that the booking said our appointment was at 10AM. So we got ready and were on our way in the metro. Luckily I checked my messages to notify we were coming and found a message sent around *midnight* that our reservation would be at 430pm due to the heat. Totally agree with that to protect the horses but more of a heads up would have been greatly appreciated.
- So we changed around our entire day, had to move other appointments, etc. (on our honeymoon mind you)
- The guide told us to meet at a convenient store/bar and we could wait there and have a drink while we waited. … the place was padlocked/closed. So we sat in the heat outside. A bit of a sketchy neighborhood also.
- The guide was 45 MINS late!! Even considering traffic, when you’re running a business, guests should not have to wait, that is a large pet peeve of mine so that really stuck with us.
- Finally, we did get picked up and the guide brought us to a different place and bought us a soda & snack which was very kind that she held her promise.
- if you want a TRUE authentic experience. This is it.
- you catch your own horse, you brush your own horse, you saddle your own horse, put the bridle on, check the hooves, etc.
- for me personally I liked that aspect because I have owned horses for years.
- please note: these are all ENGLISH saddles. No western style saddles available.
- there were friendly cats in the tack shed that you can pet and hold, very nice kitties.
- then you set out on the ride. The guide makes sure you are feeling comfortable and makes sure you are okay to ride. She also offers advice and had an assistant to help as well. Also made sure everyone was able to get on/off the horses okay. They were very helpful and supportive in this way.
- during our ride, the guide parted ways & she sent us with her assistant while she went and *met with other customers*? So we sat and grazed the horses for 30+ mins waiting for her to get done with other clients. We figured this was a little rude, but just went with the flow. Her assistant was incredibly sweet and so much help the whole time.
- Important note: this entire ~3+ hour ride consists of 80% forest riding and only 20% beach riding. Which is also not what we expected. (maybe we should have researched a bit more.)
- these horses were rescue horses which is a beautiful story. HOWEVER: The one my husband was on was previously injured and he walked pretty badly with his back left hip. In my opinion, I don’t think anyone should have been riding him, but I also don’t know the full extent of his history. I really hope he wasn’t in too much pain. He seemed to handle the ride alright for the entire ride though and made it home just fine.
- the horse I was on was a 22 year old mare and she did really good. A little shy of the ocean waves but she did a great job and I felt very comfortable on her.
- the guide did also offer pulling the horse further into the ocean to show her everything was okay and it probably was good for the horse to learn that and good on her legs. I am glad the guide pulled us in.
- we rode home in the dark because we caught the sunset on the beach. I’d say about 1 hour riding home in the dark. Good thing the horses knew where “home” was, haha! This wasn’t an issue for us too badly, but for some it may be.
- We got back to the stable/pens around 10/10:30 and had to get all the horses unsaddled, brushed down, watered, and put away. Which again, was fine by us, we are easy going. BUT….
- we were just a little upset because we missed the metro ride back. Luckily she did offer to take us to a metro that was closer to home and got us on that train. We rode that one but the next train we needed to get on was closed. So we were 30 mins from our hotel and had to figure out a different way to get home which cost us extra headache.
-there was no wine tasting? It said that in the booking experience but none was had.
-also was not 100% private. There was a mother and daughter who joined us as well. They were very nice and pleasant, but again, the private experience did not happen.
** Overall we had a decent experience, but I can honestly say I wouldn’t recommend this tour to a friend and would direct them elsewhere. I personally would not go again unless there was more organization and accountability. I have owned horses for years, I am a business owner myself and I would have never treated guests this way. Luckily we knew our way around horses and went with the flow.
I am not sure if the guide just had a bad day that day or what happened because I am very confused at all the other 5 star reviews I read about before booking. I just wanted to leave an honest review of our experience.